In reply to my amazing teacher's blog post, I am going to answer her question with text from the play supporting my response.
"Where is Macbeth at the end of Act I?"
By the end of Act I, we see Macbeth slowly adjusting to his new life (as predicted by the weird sisters). He is now aware of his title as 'Thane of Cawdor', and so he also lets Lady Macbeth know through a letter "Whiles I stood rapt in the wonder of it, came missives from the king, all who hailed me 'Thane of Cawdor'/ by which title, before, these weird sisters saluted me..." Lady Macbeth plans for Macbeth to murder King Duncan, so that he can be King. By the end of Act I, we witness a cowardly Macbeth as opposed to everything he seems like on the outside - a brave warrior in shining steel armor. Although Macbeth has won many physical wars, he is now at an emotional war with himself when his wife discusses her plan to murder King Duncan. "False face must hide what the false heart doth know."

Macbeth's emotional battles begin with the prophesy that the weird sisters pass on to him. More so when they become true. Macbeth loses the fight when his wife scornfully ridicules him on his change of mind and gives in. He, in essence, becomes a beaten man-and was defeated in this battle as much as the ones he had beaten on the physical battle.By none other than his wife "That I may pour my spirits in thine ear;
ReplyDeleteAnd chastise with the valour of my tongue" It is no wonder that indeed, he begins to be at battle with himself.
I am still waiting for the posts...
ReplyDeleteAct 4 scene 2
ReplyDeleteAnswer the following questions after reading Act 4 scene 2. Answers are due Sat 20th Feb.
This scene contains the murder of lady Macduff and her children.
1. Why do you think Shakespeare includes a scene showing the relationship between Lady Macduff and her son?
2. This the first murder to be committed on stage. What effect does this have on the audience?
3. Why do you think Shakespeare finds it necessary to create this effect at this particular point in the play?
11/15 very good Tiya
ReplyDelete